Life is complicated, let’s keep it simple. How about a quick and tasty weeknight gnocchi recipe? Of course you can use store bought gnocchi for a quick 30-minute meal, or you can make these vegan with an easy egg-free gnocchi recipe and vegan parmesan. May signifies English pea season and I’m always on the lookout for interesting meals to use fresh, seasonal ingredients. Try this gnocchi with English peas, mint and parmesan recipe and see if it tickles your English pea fancy. Or add this to your meatless Monday playbook and disappoint nobody!Print
30-Minute Gnocchi with English Peas, Mint and Parmesan
May marks a very important time in our culinary adventures…English pea season! Enjoy this simple gnocchi recipe with LOTS of English peas. Add some mint and parmesan to complete the canvas. Make this a quick 30-minute meal with store bought gnocchi or make these egg-free, vegan gnocchi for a pillowy light delicious option.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 Pound Gnocchi, Egg-Free Gnocchi Recipe
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 2 T Butter
- 1/2 Medium White Onion, Diced Small
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 2 C Fresh English Peas (blanched)
- 2–4 T Mint, Finely Chopped
- 1/4 C Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Blanch peas. If using raw peas, add them to salted, boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then remove them and quickly and shock them in a bowl of ice cold water. Strain until dry and set aside.
- Start a fresh pot of salted, boiling water for the gnocchi.
- In a large frying pan, add 2T olive oil and 1 T butter. Melt and incorporate until frothy.
- Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add gnocchi to boiling water and cook until they float, once floating remove with strainer and then add directly to butter/oil mixture in pan. Cook on medium high heat until gnocchi are lightly browned on both sides.
- Add peas and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add mint and parmesan and stir until incorporated. Melt 1T butter to finish and give it a great shine.
- Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with fresh mint and additional parmesan.
Pip Tip: Blanching the peas is an important step. Not only does it slightly cook the peas, but keeps them looking bright green when you add them to your dish. Nobody’s got time for grey peas!
Pip Tip: If you’re using an egg-free, vegan gnocchi recipe, be gentile. They are a more delicate than store bought versions…but oh so light! These take about an hour to make. The dough can be stored over night in the refrigerator but you will need to add a little more flour before you shape the gnocchi. I add about 1/4 cup until it is less sticky and you can roll it out easier.
Pp Tip: In a hurry? Or have a favorite gnocchi? Of course you can sub your favorite pre-made gnocchi and keep it simple!
- Serving Size: 8 oz
- Calories: 577
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 324 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 72
- Fiber: 8.5 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 35 mg
Keywords: gnocchi, English peas, mint, spring gnocchi, egg-free gnocchi, 30-minute meal
What do you think?