Ok, so not as “poor man’s” as the original version, because you know I’ve got to put a little Pip twist on my mothers classic dish by adding some white wine and herbs, but still a more basic version. Quick Poor Man’s Beef Stroganoff with White Wine, Parmesan & Oregano is a near perfect integration of mushrooms, onions and sour cream. Because what is life without sour cream? Although there are many fanciful recipe variations, the original recipe published in 1871 included beef seasoned with mustard, and a healthy dollop of sour cream. French mustard you ask? Well that little wist has several theories including one about a French chef working for the Stroganoff family who, naturally, added his own flare when creating the dish? Since its inception, Stroganoff has seen a plethora of interpretations – all with their rightful place.
With a long history, and a trip around the globe, this recipe version made it to my childhood dinner table monthly. Although this recipe is still fairly simple, with only a few minor tweaks to my mothers original recipe, out of all the “fancy” versions I’ve shoveled in my face, this remains my favorite. It’s cold outside, make yourself a warm bowl of this beef stroganoff and pair it with a nice glass of chablis or white burgundy.
No beef tips or expensive cuts of beef here friends. This recipe uses good old fashioned ground beef and canned cream of mushroom soup. Of course we have to kick it up a smidge by adding fresh mushrooms, herbs and some crisp white wine. This quick poor mans beef stroganoff is still an easy and crowd pleasing winter dinner.
As much as I adore this recipe at home, if ever you find yourself in Jacksonville, Florida you must have one of my favorite Stroganoff dishes at Restaurant Orsay on Park St. It’s one of those dishes that left a life long impression on my taste buds.Print
Quick Poor Man’s Beef Stroganoff with Wine, Parmesan & Oregano
This simple beef stroganoff uses ground beef and canned cream of mushroom soup. Serve a giant ladle-full over some warm egg noodles and top it with plenty of grated parmesan cheese!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small sweet onion, diced medium
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms (portobello, cremini, button etc.)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (chablis, sauvignon blanc etc.)
- 1 8oz can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz of full fat sour cream
- 1/4 c grated parmesan + more for garnish
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- 1T fresh oregano (1/2 T in recipe and 1/2 T or garnish)
- white pepper
- 16 oz dried wide egg noodles
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta while your stroganoff is cooking.
- Brown beef in large skillet, season with a little salt and white pepper. Once cooked through, remove meat and drain excess water/fat. Set meat aside.
- In the same skillet, heat butter and oil until hot.
- Add diced onions and sliced mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms are soft and the onion is translucent. Your kitchen will start to smell dang good right here!
- Add white wine and allow to cook down until reduced by half-ish.
- Return meat to pan with onions and mushrooms and add that can of condensed mushroom soup. Heat and stir until combined – nice and creamy goodness.
- Add sour cream and stir until combined and heated through.
- Now it’s about to get naughty…add your parmesan cheese and 1/2 T of oregano and cook for another 5 mins on low heat.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper
- Add a couple tablespoons of the stroganoff “sauce” to your cooked egg noodles to keep them from sticking together. Then add noodles to a bowl or plate and top the noodles with a couple big ladles of stroganoff. Top with oregano and more parmesan cheese.
Pip Tip: Pick a good quality wine to cook with and drink it along with your meal. I prefer a dry California sauvignon blanc or a bright French chablis.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 860
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 690mg
- Fat: 44.2g
- Saturated Fat: 19.4g
- Carbohydrates: 41.9h
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 65.5g
- Cholesterol: 235mg
Keywords: beef stroganoff, stroganoff, poor mans stroganoff, mushrooms, 30 minute meals, egg noodles, quick dinner, hearty family meal